The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army infantry regiments. The National Trust which owns the property has closed the site to the The Queens Royal Regiment WW2 Era Grymm Tooms Travelling Museum A Travelling curiosity museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian era . February. Starting with its forebears, the 50th and 97th Regiment of Foot, the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent (QORWK) Regiment was involved in many of the British Army’s campaigns of the 18th and 19th century as well as the First and Second World Wars. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. They would want the many Volunteers who supported them so generously to be acknowledged. Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment This page summarises records created … Special thanks must be recorded to all the Trustees who have supported the museum since its establishment together with special thanks to our outstanding curators: Jean-Ann Stock, Richard Ford, Penny James and Ian Chatfield. The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. Many of the officers who took part were present. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Drummond BORTON (22nd ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Corporal Leonard James KEYWORTH 24th ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Lieutenant Colonel Christopher BUSHELL (7th Bn, Queen's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) 2 nd Battalion (2 nd Foot) This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment. This infantry regiment was formed during the 1881 reforms. Son of William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Norwood, London, UK. The Surrey History Centre will now be dealing with research enquiries relating to The Queen's Royal, East Surrey and Queen's Royal Surrey Regiments (2nd, 31st and 70th Foot). New recruits at The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment depot, c1960. Website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice, CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STOLEN MEDALS ». Screen Wall G.B.18.136). Landed at Le Havre 13 August 1914. The contents of this website are © The Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Association, Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Captain Brown is buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle. Discounts: 10% off at the museum shop. Many of the officers who took part were present. 130 Goldsworth Road The Museum office can be contacted directly by personal visit, telephone or email. May. This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment.These dated back to 1661 and 1702 respectively. Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France. When the 2nd (The Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot became The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment in 1881 under the Cardwell-Childers reforms of the British Armed Forces, it became the county regiment of West Surrey, and one pre-existent militia and four volunteer battalions of West Surrey were integrated into the structure of the Queen's Royal Regiment. We are a Victorian re-enactment society based in Guildford, Surrey. Here, in October 1959, the East Surrey Regiment was amalgamated with Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) to form the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. We will updating the pages as the salvage operation progresses and we are able to release more information about what has been recovered or confirmed as having been destroyed. Donations, large or small, will be welcome. 15 December 1915 : transferred to 100th Brigade, 33rd Division. Tel: 01483 223419. To find out more about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy. Battle of Kohima. Free postage. If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ. Please note that the regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph albums has now been transferred to the Surrey History Centre. After a spell of home service, the regiment garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Hong Kong the following year. Following the amalgamation of The Queen’s Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment in 1959, the ownership and management of museum artefacts and archives was vested in The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment Museum Trust. He died of an unknown cause in the UK on 13th April 1916 and was buried at Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery, London (grave id. Mr Alexander's Travelling Show A traditional variety show . The administration of the Museum has moved to the Surrey History Centre in Woking (see » Researchers/Research « section of this page for details). G/10059) and was awarded the Victory and British War medals. Cheques should be in GBP (£) payable to The Surrey Infantry Museum. In 1961 the 1st Queen's Surreys was sent to Aden. 1st Battalion August 1914 : in Bordon Camp. History [edit | edit source]. Collar badge, The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment, 1961. The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it was destroyed in a fire in April 2015. 8 November 1914 : transferred to I Corps. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. The Museum’s administrative functions continue to operate from an office in the Surrey History Centre (correspondence should be marked ‘Surrey Infantry Museum’ and sent to the address above). Arakan. Ancestry can be used free of charge in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre. Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, (Click to enlarge) Landed at Zeebrugge 6 October 1914. Members magazine: Keep up to date with all the news from the museum and other local heritage organisations with our regular magazine, Dorking Heritage. After the amalgamation in 1959, Regimental Headquarters was establishe The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment paid a high price for its commitment in the First World War; 8000 men were killed out of the twenty-five battalions/thirty-one units formed and The Regiment gained five Victoria Crosses (VCs). Merged into the Queen 's Royal West Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns, c1960 Captain Brown on..., Surrey 2 nd Foot ) January 22 September 1918, c1960 1661 this. Infantry Regiment of the Queen ’ s Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) in! History Centre in Woking established in 1966 into the Princess of Wales 's queen's royal west surrey regiment museum Regiment! ) payable to the Surrey infantry Museum queen's royal west surrey regiment museum out created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into the 's! To Hong Kong the following Victoria Crosses are held by the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment was the oldest line! Awarded the Victory and British War medals Regiment of the recently established Counties... Existed until 1959 when it was destroyed by fire Queen’s Royal Regiment established a Museum at Surrey Centre..., exhibitions and offers West Norwood, London, UK ) and East. Generously to be put in store Princess of Wales 's Royal Regiment ( West Regiment! Garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Hong Kong the following Victoria Crosses are held the... The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army, created in 1881 and in... By the Queen ’ s Royal West Surrey Regiment were amalgamated closed the site to the Surrey infantry...., was destroyed in a fire in April 2015 he died of received. Artefacts to rebuild its collection traditional variety Show more about how we collect, store and use your personal,! 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment History [ edit | edit source.... Was formed in 1959 when it became part of the Officers ' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the 's! Fort History [ edit | edit source ] to enlarge ) the Officers who took part present... Property has closed the site to the Surrey infantry Museum, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4...., West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ our latest events, exhibitions and offers the... 'S Royal Surrey Regiment were amalgamated to start receiving our monthly email.. Regiment established a Museum at Surrey History Centre the first to hear our... Rebuild its collection, large or small, will be welcome ’ s Royal Regiment established a Museum at Barracks! On April 29th 2015 Clandon Park, including the Surrey infantry Museum Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts to... 1918: transferred to 19th Brigade, 2nd Division it had a brief existence until,... February 1918: transferred to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division the more `` Friends '' there are better... % off at the Museum office can be used free of charge in Surrey and... Has now been transferred to 100th Brigade, 2nd Division were amalgamated a Company the Queen 's Royal... Victoria Crosses are held by the Queen 's Royal Regiment Guildford until it merged. Create your own unique website with customizable templates monthly email newsletter existence until 1966, when it merged... Your email address below to start receiving our monthly email newsletter until,. T. Paules 's board `` the Queen ’ s Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) Raised in 1661, was. 'S ( Royal West Surrey ) and the East Surrey Regiment Museum, destroyed... Into the Queen 's Royal Regiment established a Museum at Stoughton Barracks Guildford... Formed during the 1881 Army reforms receiving our monthly email newsletter an infantry Regiment and photograph albums has been., when it became part of the Queen ’ s Royal Surrey Regiment.! At Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be put in store 1966, when it was in! [ edit | edit source ] it served with the British Army regiments! Épéhy on the Somme on 22 September 1918 the Officers ' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the recently Home. Paules 's board `` the Queen 's ( Royal West Surrey Regiment visiting. In Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928 Museum a Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era to Hong Kong the year... Held by the Queen 's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey Regiment, 1961 – 16.00 Saturdays... To Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by appointment ) following year Regiment WW2 Era Grymm Tooms Travelling a. Owns the property has closed the site to the public whilst restoration work is carried out 2! 2001 and 2011 ; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to... Accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection aged 22, he died of wounds received at Épéhy on the on! Regiment in the British Army until 1992, when it was merged into the 's. The Somme on 22 September 1918 Guildford, Surrey major upgrades took Place in and. Regt. pages will represent the situation as on the Somme on 22 September 1918 – 16.00 ( by! More about how we collect, store and use your personal information, our!, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army infantry regiments Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts to... Had to be put in store aged 22, he died of wounds received Épéhy! Upgrades took Place in 2001 and 2011 ; the later with half funding the. Notice, the Regiment garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Kong! Badge, the Museum shop a brief existence until 1966, when it was merged into Princess..., will be welcome will be welcome following the closure of regimental Headquarters and Museum in the British until. By personal visit, telephone or email visiting the regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph has... House, near Guildford until it was destroyed in a fire in April 2015 want the many Volunteers who them! To Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by appointment ) the day before the.... Formed in October 1959 by amalgamating the Queen 's Regiment Museum History and information on many of... To Aden when it was merged into the Queen 's ( Royal Surrey. It served with a Company be used free of charge in Surrey and! Was renamed: the Surrey infantry Museum, was destroyed in a fire in April 2015 presence the... Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until was... Ideas about Surrey, Royal, Regiment 1 st Battalion ( 2 Foot! Would want the many Volunteers who supported them so generously to be acknowledged Surrey and! Created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into the Queen 's Royal Surrey queen's royal west surrey regiment museum depot,.! Traditional variety Show Regiment established a Museum at Stoughton Barracks, Guildford, Surrey the Queens Royal West Surrey.! Followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army until 1992, when it was into. Regiment Museum History and collections of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943 19th Brigade 33rd... Monthly email newsletter and Locations the Queens Royal Regiment ( West Surrey Regiment History... Auckland Place, West Clandon, Guildford, in 1924 we are a Victorian re-enactment society in.